Tuesday, September 10, 2013

MOTELX - Lisbon International Horror Film Festival

MOTELX – 7º Edição do Festival Internacional de Cinema de Terror de Lisboa

(7th Edition Lisbon International Horror Film Festival)



Like a horror films lover, this year I can’t afford to lose again Motelx. Every year I am bragging about going and I always ended up not going for some lame excuse. It is quite annoying from me and in the end I download the films and watch at home. But next week I promised myself to go there, live the true horror cinema at São Jorge amongst others horror spirits lovers like me.
So it will be my first time at the Motelx which I am quite excited! This year they have in the Cult of Living Masters, Tobe Hooper from the most known The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974). A Retro was given to the Japanese Hideo Nakata better known for Ring (1998) and Dark Water (2002).


But I am going there to see some new and fresh films, which includes Byzantium the new film of Neil Jordan, most known for his work at Interview with a Vampire, which I have to say, I love a lot. I am a huge vampire lover including Bram Stoker’s Dracula from Francis Ford Coppola. So I am hoping that Byzantium be able to give that good feeling about a great vampire’s film again. (I have to say although I have nothing really strong against the Twilight films, they kind of made the vampires in some sort of fairy-tale thing… Too far away from the real vampire tales written and told ages ago).
I haven’t decided yet what others films I wish to watch like I haven’t seen all the trailers either.

Films featured on Room Service (main section from the festival) at Motelx that I have seen so far:
1st Edition - 2007 
-None

2nd Edition -2008
-None

3rd Edition – 2009

- The Children (RU/2008)


It is an amusing film, but don’t expect too much. It is just that kind of films where children are playing the devil role. At some point it might become annoying to watch.

*

-From Within (USA/2008)


Honestly, so boring that I don’t even remember anymore.

*

-Martyrs (FRA/2008)


It is one of my top 5 films ever! I love it so much. It is in fact, a very physical emotion in a film. It was until present the only film that gave me the chills, I wanted to close my eyes like children do and stop watching.





4th Edition – 2010

-5150 Elm’s Way (5150, Rue des Ormes - Canada/2009)


It may starts a little slow, but when you get engaged with the story, you can’t stop watching, you just want to know where it ends… all that suffering, all that sacrifice.

*

-The Loved Ones (Australia, 2009)



Oh, I loved this one too! So amusing and entertaining, I love the twisted sense of being a couple and love that the main character has. It is almost so cute, although you feel all the frustration, anxiety, rage from everything he has been put through. 





*

-Meat Grinder (Cheuat Gon Chim, Thailand/2009)


There is nothing of horror in this film, at least I didn't feel it in that way. Although the film has a great story and you get wrapped in everything that is happening. I felt it more like a drama than a horror film.

5th Edition – 2011

-Confessions (Kokuhaku, Japan/2010)


I loved the story of Confessions, you get the chance to see the same event from the eyes of all the main characters. This gives you so much different perspectives about each character and the story behind of each one.

*

-The Ward (USA/2010)


Well, I love John Carpenter, but I am not sure yet about this film. Maybe I was expecting a little bit more from the great Master, some horror and blood, instated I got a soft psychological thriller. I didn't fall in love this time. It is just a nice film. 

6th Edition – 2012
-None 

******************************************************

And just a little update about my weekend. Sunday I went to Meo Outjazz, I really don't like Jazz, it is not my thing. But I am always trying to do new things and give them a chance... Well, not for me! LOL or I was just in a very boring and annoying day and everything started do bother me. So I went home after a while.
Oh well, maybe another time!
I just sat there and watched the little lake with the ducks... instead of getting involved in all the chaos behind me, which was the place where the festival was.





1 comment:

  1. Hi! Nice to see your blog! I'm a fan of horror movies as well, and going to watch Byzantium too!
    Mind to follow each other? Let me know. :)

    http://tasiawijayanti.blogspot.com/
    xx

    ReplyDelete